SEO is the process of improving the visibility of the site in search engine non paid results. For example- if the user performs the search query in the search engines for “best insurance company”. The list of search results appears so the role of SEO is to show your site’s results on the top. Here is the snapshot to make you understand the SEO meaning in a better way.
Search query- It is the keyword or phrases that user type in the search bar.
Search bar- It is the place where the user types the search query
Organic- These are the web pages that appear in the order of optimization and authority in the SERPs.
SEO Meaning or What is SEO and how it works?
SEO is a marketing which focuses on increasing visibility and improve search engine ranking in organic (non-paid) search engine results pages. SEO comprises both the technical and creative elements required to improve rankings, drive traffic, and increase awareness in search engines.
In simple words SEO is the technique of optimizing web pages so that it appears higher in search engine result pages (SERPS) for a target set of Keywords/Phrases.
SEO isn’t just about building search engine-friendly websites. It’s about getting your site better for human as well.
Here is the video to explain you SEO meaning in a better way
Next in the SEO meaning is its need.
Why SEO is needed for a Website?
The majority of web traffic is driven by the major search engines that are Google, Bing, and Yahoo. Social Media & other platforms can drive traffic and generate visits, but still most internet users use search engines as the primary source, whether it is content based, services, products or information based search.
Search engines provide targeted traffic as of what people wants and what the website provides. Search engines follow a pathway based on links. If search engines cannot crawl and index your website you will not able to drive traffic to your website.
Next in the SEO meaning is its importance
Why can’t the search engines evaluate my website without doing SEO?
Search engines are agile, but they still need assistance. The major engines are constantly running to improve their technical expertise to crawl the web more deeply and bring back better results to users. Proper SEO Analysis can bring you tons of visitors and increased attention; the wrong practices can hide or lay to rest your site deep in the search results where there is no visibility. In addition to making content usable to search engines, SEO also helps boost rankings so that searchers will more readily see it.
Next in the SEO meaning is its types.
Types of SEO
1. On page SEO – It is applying all the techniques on the site to improve its performance and visibility. It plays an important role in ranking fast and well in the search engines. It should be kept in mind that there is a need to optimize each and every page of the website to improve the overall rankings of the website and rank the individual webpage for the particular keyword in SERPs.
2. Off Page SEO- It is aka link building which is the process of generating the backlinks on high authority sites. These backlinks act as the “votes of trust” and increase the visibility of the site in search engines by improving the domain authority of the site. There is a brand promotion of the site on the trustworthy and high authority sites to improve the online presence of the site.
3. Technical SEO- It helps in improving the technical parameters that affect the visibility of the site in search engines. The main aim of technical SEO is to crawl and index the website without any errors. Make sure the robots.txt is fixed and can properly access the site. Add and verify the site in search console proving the preferred domain of the site. Optimize your site and URL structure.
4. Content SEO- This is part of on page SEO ensuring the quality of the content is high and find the ways to make it better. Optimize the content with the target keywords following the keyword density and proximity. It should be friendly for both search engines and users.
5. Local SEO- If you want the users to visit your local shop or stores then the site should be optimized for the local keywords. Add the local schema and create the Google my business page. Register your business to the local SEO directories such as Yelp, Foursquare etc.
6. Mobile SEO- It is crucial to optimize the site for the mobile devices for providing the better user experience. Make sure your site is running well in the mobile friendly test. The website should load fast.
7. eCommerce SEO- When it comes to optimize the ecommerce SEO site then it is difficult then blog or local business website. Optimize all the products page, visual elements, add proper schema. Promote your site on social media platforms to get the high exposure.
While understanding SEO meaning you need to understand its important Factors.
On page SEO Factors or On Site Elements
1. Crawling and Indexing
Crawling is the process of following the links by search engine bots. Indexing means adding the web pages in search engine result pages. For the better visibility of site, there should be continuous crawling and indexing.
This is the file which allows certain pages to be crawled or block by the search engine bots by allowing or disallowing commands.
3. Keyword Research
It is the process of searching the keywords for the site based on its niche or products and services. There are lot of keyword research tools available such as keywords everywhere, SEMrush, ahrefs, etc. Keywords can be selected depending on search volume and keyword difficulty. It is important to target them in Meta tags, content, link building activities and other SEO activities. You must check How to do Keyword Research?
4. Site URL Structure
The site URL should be clean, static and SEO friendly including one main target keyword.
5. Meta tags
This includes Meta title, description and heading tags ( H1, H2 and H3 ) of the web pages. These can be optimized using target and related keywords of the site’s services or products.
6. Keyword Density- Avoid the over stuffing and maintain the keyword optimization by keeping the keyword density to be 1-2%.
7. Keyword Proximity- It means the distance of main keyword from each other. Suppose your main keyword is SEO services India. Now consider the following sentence SEO services are affordable in India. So proximity between SEO services and India is 3 words. It is recommended that the proximity should be less for better results.
8. Alt text
A bot isn’t able to read the images but the keyword included in the Alt text helps is to identify what the image is all about.
9. Site Speed
Site should load within 3 seconds in order to provide a great user experience. There is a need to optimize the site if it is more than 3 seconds by using CDN or compressing and minifying js, css scripts and HTML.
10. Tracking Codes
To monitor the SEO performance and analyzing the results, tracking codes need to be added for Google Analytics and Search console and Bing Webmasters. You can also track the conversions by adding thank you page in Google Analytics. Additionally you can track the events for click to call and click to mail.
11. Fixing of Errors
It is crucial to fix the broken link errors, server errors and crawling and indexing errors to make the site to show the active pages without any errors.
12. Internal Linking Optimization
It is important to link the web pages internally by creating the rich anchor texts. Avoid keyword cannibalization which means linking the main keyword of the web page to some other page.
Add XML and HTML sitemap for continuous crawling and indexing of the site. XML sitemap is helpful in crawling of the web pages and HTML sitemap is to provide the navigation to the users for whole site.
14. Canonical Tags
This tag is important to indicate the page to pass the link juice and index in the search engines avoiding the duplicate versions of the site.
There are mainly two types of redirections- Permanent and Temporary. 301 is the permanent redirection whereas 302 is temporary direction. The permanent redirection passes 90-99% of link juice to the page which is redirected. 302 is the temporary redirection which is mainly used when the page needs to be redirected for temporary reasons such as moved to some other location for some time.
16. Mobile Friendly version
With the mobile first indexing update, it is important to have the mobile version of the site. Optimize the site for mobile device and fix all the errors in order to provide the great user experience.
17. Text/ HTML Ratio
This should be around 25-70 percent. It refers to the percentage for the visible text in comparison to the images and other non visible information.
18. Schema Implementations
It enhances the meta description by providing the valuable information to the users. Local, person, product, event, price and website are some common types of schema.
19. W3C Validation
It helps in ensuring the technical qualities by checking if the HTML and XHTML mark-ups are proper.
20. No Follow
If you don’t want to follow the link and pass the link juice then add this tag as rel=”nofollow”. This tag is mainly used for external links on the site.
If you want that the particular page should not be indexed then add the no index tag as follows
22. Social Sharing Buttons- It encourages the social sharing of the posts or pages to the social networks. The total share count helps in creating the credibility for the brand to the users.
Off Page SEO Factors or Link Building Elements
1. Domain Authority- It is the complete authority of the domain or site. It ranges from 0-100 where 0 is the lowest and 100 is the highest.
2. Page Authority- As the name suggests it is the authority of a page based on links shared on different sites. It ranges from 0-100 where 0 is the lowest and 100 is the highest.
3. Trust Flow- It is the score given to the site based on credibility of the site to the users. If quality link building is performed than the trust factor for the site will be good resulting in high trust flow.
4. Citation Flow- It refers to the accurate citation and brand consistency on the web. To increase the citation flow score, build accurate citations on authoritative sites.
5. Social Shares- It helps to earn the trust and encourage the sharing of posts resulting in engagements and social traffic to the site.
6. Link Juice- It is the authority passed to the site from the links and helpful in increasing the Page Rank of the site.
7. Page Rank- It ranges from 0-10 where 0 is the lowest and 10 is the highest. In order to improve Page Rank, build quality links for the web pages.
8. Anchor text- It is a hyperlink text pointing to the web pages on the site or other sites. It should be build by linking the relevant or related keywords.
Now that you now know SEO meaning and know that it plays a vital role in improving the visibility of the site to have a strong presence online and get organic traffic and conversions to the site.