Keywords are the backbone of SEO. It is important to optimize it in the content, Meta tags, and URL. Learn how to do keyword research for SEO through this useful guide.
Here are some facts about Keyword Research
Usage: Make your main keyword to be a part of crawling by properly placing it on the content.
Domination: Search engine determines the relevancy of a particular keyword mapped in the content.
Stuffing: Gone are the days when using a targeted keyword everywhere and easily come up higher in rank. Now search engines check the relevancy and penalized for using keywords more than 2-3 % of your content.
Use focused keywords in on-page activities in the following ways
1. In title-Tag Once
2. Once near the top of the page.
3. 2- 3 % in the body of Content.
4. Once in the alt attribute of the image.
5. Once in the URL of the web page.
6. Once in a Meta description tag of the web page.
7. Do not use the main keyword in anchor text pointing to other pages of your site called as Keyword cannibalization.
Title, Description and Focused Keywords are called Meta tags.
1. Title: It is a blue line when searched in the search bar of the search engine.
2. Follow these steps to optimize:
3. It should be 65- 70 Characters.
4. Place important keywords to the front.
5. It should have a readable and emotional impact as it is the first impression for your readers.
It is a short description of 2-3 lines below the title. This should be effective enough to grab the reader’s attention and he/ she clicks on the title.
Once there was a time when the keyword is taken into account. But now it has a little value as people used to put lots of keywords say 500 and difficult for the search engine to take it into an account. So now just 2-3 keywords in case it is crawled by the search engine.
URL construction Guidelines
1. Add those keywords in the URL which is the main theme of your content
2. Keep URL clean, short and simple.
3. Only use the target keyword once.
4. Use static URLs.
5. Use hyphens to separate.
6. Canonicalization: It occurs when there are 2 different URLs for the same Content. It is mainly seen in the content management system. You must have seen certain URL are open from http://domainname and http://www.domainname as well, so difficult for a search engine to distinguish and it lowers the rank. It should be redirected using 301 or add a canonical tag to prioritize the main URL for the web pages.
How to do Keyword Research?
It is one of the deciding factors in search engines. It can make or break a website. Visitors on site should be of the right kind and that can only be through right targeted keywords.
Keyword Research Tips
1. Ask questions:
Is the keyword relevant?
Will the keyword able to answer the query asked by searchers?
Will it be able to fulfill organizational goals?
2. Do a search for assumed keyword and see the websites ranking for it and are their ads running on the top and bottom of the organic results. These show the value of the assumed keywords.
3. You can check search terms provided by webmasters for your website.
4. Use long-tail keywords: Keywords query that contains more than 3 words.
5. Competition should be less as it is worthless targeting keywords that are already targeted by high domain authority websites.
While performing how to do keyword research it is important to understand your audience and opportunities
A. Semantic search
It should be based on the intent of the searcher.3 tips on choosing intent-based keywords for SEO.
1. Foundational keywords: Think of that keywords and synonyms which customers may type to search for your product/ service.
2. Auto suggests keywords. See the screenshot below
3. Related keywords. See the screenshot below
B. Commercial Intent
Ready to buy type keywords like Nike red shoes
C. Informational Intent
Informational providing keywords related to your products and services.
D. Long-tail keywords
Long-tail keywords are better for conversion. Reasons for selecting it are
1. They are specific.
2. Convert better in later stages of the buying cycle.
3. 70% of Searches come from long-tail keywords.
4. People are typing what they exactly need that contains more than 3-4 words and google is targeting that.
Process on how to do Keyword Research
1. Assumed keywords based on the above tips and the audience. Think from the customer’s point of view
i. What are the biggest roadblocks they face?
ii. What type of information is valuable to them?
iii. Demographic and location factor
iv. Type of people interested in
v. What type of related information they will search?
vi. Check yahoo answers and Quora to know what people are talking about keywords.
2. Building list: Make topics on above points along with topics on which website is focused on. Break topics into keywords and related keywords. Use tools such as Keywords everywhere, easyseotools, ubersuggest for free and ahrefs and SEMrush for paid and many more to build the list of keywords.
3. Check the average volume searches, keyword difficulty, and competition. Pick those keywords which have large average search Volume and low or medium competition. Select keywords according to relevancy.
4. Check social shares, page authority, domain authority & Google trends.
5. Finalized keywords and check the current ranking for them.
Tools for Keyword Research
Keyword Explorer from Moz.
Ubersuggest for generating the list
Buzzsumo for checking social shares.
Quora for checking queries